Bare Naked Wools
Mystery WAL Kit 2023
Join us in a Mystery Wool Along Adventure!
Our MWAL features an unreleased sport weight hap shawl pattern in a triangle or square shape to knit with five natural yarns. This brand new, exclusive design is broken down into parts which are released as clues—you follow along week by week with us, knitting each new section in a unique mystery yarn. We'll reveal the wool types as we go!
Yarn kits which include pattern and participation fee may be purchased starting May 24, 2023. Pattern preliminaries are accessible upon purchase—download the swatching and setup information when your kit purchase is complete!
DOWNLOAD PATTERN INTRODUCTION PDF AFTER CHECKOUT
On May 24, 2023, you may download a PDF with yardage, gauge, and needle information, as well as the cast on instructions. Pattern-only signups will begin on June 7, 2023. The first clue will be released on Tuesday, June 13, 2023.
Each Tuesday afternoon, a new pattern section will wing its way to you via email. We meet Wednesday evenings and Saturdays on Zoom for yarn reveals and discussion with group knitting. The Mystery Wool Along reveal party will take place near the end of July. By the end of the wool along, you’ll have a brand new hap shawl, which will serve multiple purposes as a shawl or blanket—and sharable with your favorite cuddler!
***Each kit contains (choose from 2 kit sizes, using the pulldown menu):
Triangle kit: (5) 2-oz skeins plus triangle pattern download plus stitch marker
Square kit: (10) 2-oz skeins plus square pattern download plus stitch marker)
Upgrade: (5) 2-oz skeins
All MWAL Knit Kits include the Mystery WAL pattern. You do not need to purchase the individual pattern separately.
Includes enough yardage to complete the selected size.
Approximate finished sizes:
Triangle: approximately 75 inches across the top edge and 28 inches along the center back (stretched and blocked)
Square: approximately 50 inches square (stretched and blocked)
Triangle: 180 yards of sport weight yarn in each of five shades (approximately 900 yards total)
Square: 360 yards of sport weight in each of five shades (approximately 1800 yards total)
Gauge: 24 sts and 33 rows = 4 inches / 10 cm in stockinette stitch on smaller needles (knit flat, washed, and air-dried)
size 6US (4.0 mm) or size to obtain correct gauge; DPNS in same size for starting Square or finishing Triangle
size 7US (4.5 mm) or .5 mm larger than gauge needle
Note: a variety of needle lengths will be required to accommodate the growing shawl size
MWAL PRIZE GIVEAWAY:
- Grand Prize: $50 BNW Gift Certificate
- 2nd Prize: Choice of one Knitspot eBook
- 3rd Prize: Choice of one Knitspot Pattern
What do you need to do for a chance to win?
- Wait until the start date to cast on
- Use either the MWAL pattern or MWAL kit yarn
- Post your FO in the Ravelry Group Thread by the end date
Want even more chances to win? Just tag @barenakedwools or @knitspot and use the #BNWMWAL on Instagram/Facebook!
MORE KAL DETAILS:
We're light on rules and big on fun here. Participants just need to use MWAL pattern OR a MWAL kit to knit their project to participate. (Of course, you can also choose to use both our yarn and our pattern, but that's totally up to you.)
And while prizes are only awarded for new cast-ons that are finished, you're welcome to come on over with your WIPs if you just want a little company — there’s room for everyone. That means this KAL is wide open to your creativity!
- Zoom meeting times are Wednesdays at 6 PM and Saturday at 12:30 PM EST. The first Zoom video get together will be Saturday, June 17 — Attend as often as you like!
- With your purchase you may download the first clue with swatching and setup information for the project.
- Pattern will be available on Ravelry if you provide your Ravelery account info upon purchase
- Pattern updates with new clues will be released Tuesdays: 6/13, 6/20, 6/27, 7/11, and 7/18—you must update your pattern download from our website OR from Ravelry to receive it
- Winners must contact firstname.lastname@example.org within 30 days to claim their prize. Prizes not claimed within 30 days will be forfeited.
- Zoom link and pattern update reminder will be sent to participants via email each Tuesday
- New to Zoom Meetings? Check out our Blog post 15 Top Tips for Zoom Newbies
*** All MWAL Knit Kits include the Mystery WAL pattern. You do not need to purchase the individual pattern separately.